Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Post from Jen Green

I have been a little flat for blogging lately. So I thought I would post this awesome blog from Jenn Green. She really gets it right.

What She Thinking
By Jen Green of WHO Radio

People keep telling me that for change, we have to get Republicans back into the statehouse. I get the same robocalls, blanket emails, and mailers you do. But you know what? That's not it. We don't need Republicans. We need heroes—heroes of conviction.

I have a little tip for all candidates running for office. I'm part of a key demographic, and I think you should want to know what I'm looking for.
I'm looking for a hero. You see, I've got lots going on in my life. I have a husband, kids, minivan, a job, and even a few pets. They all demand my attention almost a solid 18 hours a day. There's a constant pile of laundry, lunches to make, bathrooms to clean, carpools to organize, lawns to mow, meetings to attend. So, to be honest, I don't have much time to devote to politics.

That's where you come in.

I want to know that there's someone there taking care of Iowa for me. This is one of those jobs, that for now, I have to delegate to someone else. You know, like how early Americans elected a man like George Washington or John Adams, sent him to Washington, and he did his job—he duked it out (sometimes literally) and fought for the things that were right. He didn't worry about poll numbers or 24-hour media. He didn't worry about sound bites or “you tube.” He just fought first for his ideals, second for his country, and finally for his constituents.

I want a leader.

I want someone I don't have to keep an eye on. I want to trust him. No, I don't expect you to be perfect, have a perfect past, or be a choir boy. But, I do expect you to conduct yourself with integrity even when you screw up. Don't make excuses. Don't blame it on someone else. Take responsibility and accountability. Then move on and get your work done.

I want a warrior. Please listen to this very carefully: I don't want someone to work across the aisle. I don't want someone to compromise. Look where “bipartisanship” has gotten us! I'm not sending you there to be nice or make friends. I'm not sending you there to form secret handshake agreements or play give-and-take. I'm sending you there to take a stand.

I want a statesman.

I don't want someone to go there and do what he feels is right. I want him to do what IS right. And don't sit there and tell me you don't know the difference, or that there is no objective standard for what's right. That's baloney. Whether or not they were Christians, all of our country's forefathers had this in common: they believed in the Biblical principles of right and wrong. What's more, they read the Bible and believed in the One who gave it to us. They believed in good, patriotism, and liberty—all of which are ideals based on the objective principal of Truth put forth in the Bible.

So, if you want my vote, you'd better be ready to fight for what's right based on TRUTH, and I mean big "T" truth.

I know I keep using the male pronouns here, but I'm not excluding women. If you're a woman who can go to the Capitol and show these men what it means to be a statesmen, a leader, a fighter, a warrior, you go for it, girl, and I'm right there with you. I'll use whatever voice I have to send you there, if you're willing to fight.

You'll have to fight against the likes of Gronstal and even (unfortunately) those who say they are on your team. However, they instead base their moral compass on their feelings, their own agenda, or their lack of courage. Truth is often you'll have to vote against your own feelings. It may be lonely and tough sometimes, but if you represent me the way you promise, I'll always be behind you.

The way I see it anymore being a politician is a disgrace.

Politicians have made a career of compromising their public seat. My demographic doesn't want politicians anymore. We want heroes. We want statesmen. Being a statesman is an honor. It's much like being a parent. It's not a job, it's a responsibility.

And it's not a right or an entitlement. If you want a public seat, you should be willing to debate your opponent in public for that public seat. I need to see with my own two eyes that you can stand up for the issues against another person on a stage. If you won’t do that why should I assume that you will fight in front of an entire legislative body? Or in a private room full of folks trying to buy your vote?

So candidates, if you want my vote remember this: with my vote I give you my trust. With my vote, you represent my hope. With my vote, you protect the Truth. When you're willing to accept that responsibility, then, and only then, will you get my vote.

No comments: